Debra Parker's Blog
Are you looking to give your kitchen that fresh and thorough cleaning for spring? Follow this checklist and see what you have to do. You can also use it to give your kitchen a thorough cleaning at any time of the year.
- Start with the sink. Deal with whatever dirty dishes are lurking there. Use your dishwasher or wash them by hand and dry them. When the sink is empty, fill up the sink with hot water, then add some detergent and bleach and let it stand for about 90 minutes before emptying it and rinsing off.
- Dealing with the countertops. Mix a solution of warm water and dishwashing liquid, and then use a washcloth to wipe down the countertops. Spray a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water to get rid of stains and then wipe down again. Wipe down your appliances with the damp washcloth too but be careful not to leave any water on the insides.
- Cleaning the cabinets. Empty the cabinets of all their contents, discard anything that is expired or no longer in use. Wipe down the doors and interior with your washcloth. You can use a toothpick wrapped with tissue to clean out the edges and corners. Also, degrease the edges of your drawers and shelves. When you are done return all your items back to the cabinet.
- The rest of the kitchen. Remove the kitchen blinds and window coverings and dust them thoroughly before laundering them. Get a duster and then dust the ceiling, removing whatever cobwebs may be lurking in the corners. Remove any pictures from the walls and dust them thoroughly too before rehanging them. Sweep the kitchen floors and pay extra care to those areas that are out of sight such as the space beneath the fridge. When you finish sweeping, mop with a solution of water and vinegar to disinfect and deodorize the floor.
- Get rid of trash. Begin to gather all the trash into one of your bin bags and empty those outside before washing your trash can with water and soap. Leave the trash can in the sunlight for some deodorizing.
- Final touches. Return everything to its proper positions. Rehang the window blinds and return the trash can to the kitchen.
Well done, you just carried out a thorough spring cleaning, you should reward yourself with something nice and cool.